Experience design is a growing area. This people-driven approach to designing services and interactions with a focus on the senses and different needs can extend a range of existing careers. If you’d like to take the next step, learn more below on how to apply for the Experience Design xdMFA.
…and if you’re still wondering about experience design, learn more on our why experience design? page.
Steps to Apply
The following materials should be submitted to the Graduate School on-line application system.
- The general Graduate School application form (Please note that the current official degree name for Experience Design as listed on this application is “Program Name: Art; Degree Name: Master of Fine Arts.” After you select this general program name, you will be able to specifically select the concentration in Experience Design.)
- A URL to a personal website of work
- A one-page statement of intent. Please tell us about your educational and professional background and the ideas and influences for your creative work
- A resume including relevant work or professional experience
- A non-refundable application fee
- Your academic transcript(s) in PDF format for each college or university attended. Unofficial transcripts can be used as long as your name and institution are clearly indicated. If you are admitted, you will be required to submit an official transcript for each degree earned
- Three letters of recommendation
More details about requirements for international students can be found on the Miami University Website.
Departmental acceptance into the MFA program is competitive and is determined by the quality of work and undergraduate education. We encourage an on-campus or virtual interview with Graduate Director, Dennis Cheatham prior to or during the application process.
Applications for admission into Experience Design are currently accepted for only fall semesters. The priority deadline to apply is February 1; however, applications will be accepted up to May 1.
International Student Admission Timing
Depending on your situation, some international students may need more time for the processing of paperwork for study in the United States. Please allow plenty of time for these processes and keep them in mind when applying.
Tuition & Fees
To read more about tuition & fees, visit the Miami University site.
Assistantships and Scholarships
Please note that we are unable to offer traditional graduate assistantships as part of our program. The Miami Graduate School, however, is actively trying to increase the diversity of its applicant pool. Assistantship funding is available for highly qualified applicants from under-represented groups. View assistantships and scholarships at the Miami University Graduate School website.